Wednesday 13 March 2013

Student fro-yos

So there I am standing with the fridge and freezer doors open, it's most definitely snack time. This usually occurs around 4 or 5 when I am bored and hungry enough for dinner but that would be weird. I look longingly at the ben and jerry's (which last week was on prescription for my tonsillitis, this week there's no excuse).

I have a weird dog obsession- you'll see

After a careful search of the fridge I see my greek yogurt is about to go out of date so in the words of Lindsay Lohan (in The Parent Trap before all the nonsense) I had a brilliant beyond brilliant idea. FRO YO the ice-cream alternative with all the yum and none of the guilt.

So I carefully picked out some healthy (ish) ingredients and got started, here is my recipe:

Ingredients:

1 big tub no fat greek yogurt 
Agave syrup/ honey to taste
2 tbs Almond butter
Peanut butter (1 used 1 and a half mini tubs of smuckers)
Caramel (I used the waitrose dipping caramel)
A splash of coconut water
A splash of Rose water
A splash of apple juice 
1 tbs cocoa
+ berries, crunched up oreos, Chopped pistachios/almond, any toppings you like

So it's beyond easy, spoon out your greek yogurt into small tubs or bowls and for natural fro yo all you have to do is cover with cling film, put in the freezer and you are done!

I made all different flavours so here are some ideas:

Almond and honey:
Mix 2 tbs almond butter swirled in with honey or agave syrup to taste- can add cinnamon or brown sugar

Peanut butter and caramel:
Mix in 2 tbs peanut butter well then swirl in (not stir- so you can still see it) some caramel about 1/2 to 1 tbs

Coconut and chocolate:
Add a splash of coconut water (or milk) and add 1tbs cocoa with agave syrup or sugar to taste. For best results grate in fresh coconut or add in a crunched up bounty bar when taken out from frozen.

Rose water and pistachio:
Add a splash of rose water and agave syrup and add chopped pistachios after freezing

Apple and caramel:
Add a splash of apple juice, mix in then swirl in caramel (add fresh apple after freezing)

You can add any topping you like after freezing like in a fro yo shop!











A very satisfying snack if I do say so myself... Although these are slightly decadent, a natural yogurt with fruit and agave syrup (I'm a total agavaholic- healthy alternative to sugar and honey) is low fat and scrumdidlyumptious. I'm sure there are lots of better combos I haven't thought of and I could have played around with different ones all day unfortunately work was calling... Ok I lie I wanted to go fuel my Pinterest addiction whilst watching pretty little liars.

Happy eating!!




Bisous

A x


No comments:

Post a Comment